Sexism, metaphor, whimsy and caprice

It’s difficult to recall the last time I laughed out loud when reading an Ubuntu changelog entry. Please direct any questions or comments you may have to the Department of Metaphor.

hunspell-en-us (20070829-2ubuntu4) karmic; urgency=low

* debian/extrawords.txt: added "misandry" and "misandrist" (LP: #436145)

-- Mackenzie Morgan   Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:38:32 -0400
This entry was posted in Asides and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Sexism, metaphor, whimsy and caprice

1. ffffffffff says:

I don’t get it.

2. Jason says:

Great, sexism at its best.

I suppose readers will just have to figure out for themselves whether they find the Ubuntu/FLOSS social commentary or West Wing reference amusing.

4. Raphink says:

What’s really fully is that the change was made by Mackenzie…

5. ffffffffff says:

Sorry, still don’t get it. The post reads as though you’re saying the bug report is indicative of Mackenzie’s true feelings of hatred toward men. Am I reading this right? Maybe there’s an inside joke? I wouldn’t normally comment but it seems like an incredibly offensive personal attack.

6. Mackenzie says:

Someone called the people on the Geek Feminist blog a bunch of misandrists. Someone else said “asking someone to apologize is not misandry…and hey, Firefox doesn’t recognize that as a word!” So I fixed it in Ubuntu.

7. So, I never watched West Wing, and I’m curious about the reference. http://www.google.com/search?q=%22West%20Wing%22+misandry isn’t turning up anything interesting.

Can you unpack it for me?

8. Yeah, I…don’t get where it’s funny either. ? *scratches head*

(otoh, I don’t watch The West Wing.)

9. Mackenzie says:

I’m guessing “Department of Metaphor” is the West Wing reference.

10. Mackenzie says:

By the way, the only “funny” I could come up with for this was “hey look, a woman admits misandry exists, but some of the men still seem to be undecided regarding misogyny”-type irony.

(I waited a week to explain, partly because this isn’t the Explaining Jeff’s Sense of Humour 101 blog, and partly because it riled all the wrong feelings and responses given other community discussions about sexism and feminism.

I found it amusing while reading my upgrade logs that misandry wasn’t in the dictionary / word list and that it was worth an upload to rectify. Rarely, if ever, do changelogs focused on software releases provide such… whimsy.

Just because I find it funny doesn’t mean I find it funny about you or your issue… and by “you” I very much mean it in the plural, my dear harried commenters.)