Barack Obama celebrates National Andrew Bolt is a Dickhead Day

Barack Obama celebrates National Andrew Bolt is a Dickhead Day

(This stupid joke, and the linked cartoon which inspired it, will be difficult for international readers to understand. It might make slightly more sense if you replace “Andrew Bolt” with “Rush Limbaugh” as you read it, while noting that a true analogue to Limbaugh simply doesn’t exist in the Australian commentariat. Despite having our own breed of hypocritical right-wing crazies, I think it will be a long time coming before Australians would accept someone even remotely as ignorant and offensive as Limbaugh in our public conversation.)

This entry was posted in Asides and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Barack Obama celebrates National Andrew Bolt is a Dickhead Day

1. Jeff Walden says:

I knew nothing about Andrew Bolt prior to seeing your post on p.g.o, and after a quick glance at the Wikipedia page for him I still know pretty much nothing, but regardless how legitimate your disagreements with Bolt may or may not be…stay classy, sir.

2. LOL, absolutely!! Andrew Bolt drives me bloody crazy….!

3. David says:

Got to agree with Walden on staying classy. But what can I say… I’m one of those “hypocritical right-wing crazies”. At least I’m not one of those hypocritical left-wing crazies…

Extremists are ugly no matter what they believe in — whether it’s an obvious side of the political spectrum or something else entirely, even Software Freedom! — but we generally don’t tend to have extremists of any ilk here in Australia.

5. Well, Sydney did have Stan Zemanek for a long time…

6. foo says:

Extremists create the ideological space that allows opinions of the rest of us to be better accepted. The open source and free software “movements” wouldn’t exist without the extremism of Richard Stallman. Slavery wouldn’t be abolished without the extremists who valued human liberty. Don’t be so quick to dismiss extremists, they are the valuable means to create change in society.

I think you are wrong about Australians and accepting right-wing nutjobs, after all some say 77% of Aussies are racist:

7. Bob says:

I know some extremists in Australia. They are very extreme in their World of Warcraft playing.

8. James Henstridge says:

@foo: I guess you are right. Without extremists like Pauline Hanson leading the way, it never would have been possible for the previous government to implement the Pacific Solution.

9. James says:

I for one support anyone that fights against the unabated growth of “good intentions” propagated through the powers of government. As we are seeing in todays business cycle when a business fails or gets to big and fails it is an inconvenience and causes hardships for some.

.. If government gets to big or overbearing, freedoms are lost people are incarcerated or made criminal and people die.

“Jeff Waugh is passionate about the philosophy of Software Freedom and the business of Open Source.”

Microsoft would call you and extremest based on you statement.

10. @James Henstridge: that was EXACTLY what I was going to say!

11. John Drinkwater says:

Unsure how Rush Limbaugh is more recognised internationally than Andrew Bolt…