Smooth upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on my Linode

A few days ago I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on my Linode VM (the machine which hosts this blog). I had upgraded to 7.10 a while back, so it was unlikely to be much of a challenge… But it was great to see another very smooth upgrade, without any manual workarounds required at all.

While the packages were downloading, I noticed a few coming from universe, but fewer than I had expected. I try not to use universe stuff on my mission-critical server, but some things are just too good to live without. Perhaps they’re candidates for main inclusion?

So, here’s some of the universe stuff I can’t live without on my server, excluding supporting libraries:

• collectd: Totally awesome “just works” system information collection and graphing tool. No more dicking around with nightmare configuration of Cacti and friends — collectd comes with a bunch of useful and sensible plugins that are ready-to-go for common graphing tasks. collectd has a vote of confidence from the Red Hat Emerging Technology folks, so you know it’s good. :-)
  • libapache2-redirtoservname: Convenience module for making sure you’re always redirecting to the primary domain name for your websites — with only one line in your VirtualHost configuration. Here’s how easy it is to use:
    ServerName bethesignal.org
    ServerAlias www.bethesignal.org perkypants.org www.perkypants.org
    RedirectToServerName On
  • rtorrent: Simply the best terminal-based torrent client.
  • php5-xcache: Opcode caching for PHP. Handy when running lots of PHP gash.
  • mailgraph: Lets me know how much spam I’m killing, and email I’m suffering. :-) See mailgraph on gnome.org for a great example of mailgraph in action.
This entry was posted in General and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Smooth upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on my Linode

1. markrian says:

You use a torrent client on a _mission-critical server_?

2. Chris Samuel says:

I’d just be happy if the Hardy kernel would boot on my old server! :-(

I’m stuck on the Gutsy kernel until I (or anyone else) can figure out what’s wrong.

@markrian: Of course! You might be projecting your sense of “mission-critical” onto someone else’s…

4. Robin says:

I kinda wish more internet-facing, likely to have on a server software wasn’t in Universe. Things like wordpress, which get a lot of security updates from the upstream authors that don’t seem to get into the distro make me quite nervous running on Ubuntu server.

5. Diego says:

Those universe packages may be just “recommendations” that apt decided to install, there’re commnand lines to avoid them (and with deborphan you can look which ones are not dependencies)

@Diego: I use apt-get, not aptitude, so I don’t get recommends by default.

The rest of the universe packages installed on my server are either dependencies of the packages mentioned above, or extra stuff I added for manually installed software (such as a few Python things).